My research interests are in the intersection of applied cryptography, system security, and privacy. I am excited about using mathematical techniques for cryptanalysis. Attacks contribute to identify the root causes for failures of cryptography in practice, which can then inform the design or improvement of systems to address these issues.
- MSc ETH Zurich – EPF Lausanne in Computer Science Major in Cyber Security (short: MSc ETH EPF CS)
- BSc ETH Zurich in Computer Science (short: BSc ETH CS)
- PhD at UCSD advised by Nadia Heninger (Fall 2022 - today)
- Alexander Viand*, Patrick Jattke, Miro Haller, Anwar Hithnawi. (2023). "HECO: Fully Homomorphic Encryption Compiler" USENIX Security 2023.
- Martin R. Albrecht, Miro Haller, Lenka Mareková*, Kenneth G. Paterson. (2023). "Caveat Implementor! Key Recovery Attacks on MEGA" Eurocrypt 2023.
- Matilda Backendal, Miro Haller* and Kenneth G. Paterson. (2023). "MEGA: Malleable Encryption Goes Awry" IEEE S&P 2023.
- Ivan Puddu*, Moritz Schneider, Miro Haller, Srdjan Čapkun. (2021). "Frontal Attack: Leaking Control-Flow in SGX via the CPU Frontend" USENIX Security 2021.
- MEGA: Malleable Encryption Goes Awry
- IEEE Security and Privacy 2023
- Brave Research Group
- Why E2EE Cloud Storage is hard - Challenges, Attacks and Best Practices
- RealWorldCrypto 2023
- Theory Seminar at UCSD
- CNS Research Review at UCSD
- Climbing the Hacking /mnt/ain
- Swiss Cyber Storm Conference
- Revisiting Microarchitectural Side-Channels
- Security and Cryptography Laboratory (LASEC), EPFL
- SGX Accurate Time Measurements
- System Security Group ETH Zurich
- Research assisstant at the Privacy Preserving Systems Lab of ETH Zurich
- Content valuating and improving Fully Homomorphic Encryption (FHE) tool support
- Intern at DSwiss AG (2016)
- Adapting and extending automated server configurations, load and performance testing, E2E tests, replacing the company’s telephone system.
- Distinguished paper award at IEEE S&P 2023.
- ETH Medal: Award for outstanding master’s thesis.
- Global Young Scientist Summit 2022: Nomination as ETH representative for the CS department.
- European Cyber Security Challenge: triple qualification for the Swiss National Team (2016, 2017, 2019), and team coach (2021, 2022)
- SwissSkills Expert: Expert for the Cyber Security Trait of the Swiss national championship for professions in 2022 and 2023.
- ISSS Excellence Award: Award for the best thesis in the field of information security in Switzerland in 2022.
- ICON: achieved first place with the team “sw1ss” in the 2018 final
- Swiss Olympiads of Informatics: double participation (2014, 2015)
- Best high school graduate of the year 2015 from the Neue Kantonsschule Aarau.